Employablity is about finding the suitable job for you.
The challenge of finding a suitable job is a challenge for almost everyone, irrespective of age, gender or geographical regions.Some people are in less favourable conditions and support is essential for them. For others, support is necessary in critical times, when they are setting up a new professional plan or when they are required to make decisions.
AELIA is a non profit organization, founded in 2013, which supports the employability and professional development of people by organizing Workshops as well as Acceleration Programs (dedicated guidance through mentoring, networking and experiential learning).
Employability is about being ready for a suitable job for you, which would be a job not only to earn your living but also a job which could fulfil significant inner needs for your personal identity and development
What is employability?
Employability is the ability to find and maintain a suitable job, that is a professional activity that fulfills you, whether employed, freelance or entrepreneur. A suitable job, apart from earning a living, will offer you:
- (a) Identity (what makes me special? what do I know, what are my skills?),
- (b) Acknowledgement of your Worth (how valuable are my skills and attributes?)
- (c) Creation (what can I make out of my skills, my attributes, my ideas)
- (d) Satisfaction and Quality of life (do I feel happy with my job? does my job offer me the possibility to create quality in my life, as I want it)
How ready are you to find the suitable job? How employable are we? AELIA wants to help you prepare for the suitable job. We can help you develop your employability.
How does AELIA approach employability?
In AELIA we believe that being employable means:
- Being fully aware of your potential and your limits,
- Being well informed about the sectors in which you want to work and understanding the requirements of the job you aim at;
- Having the skills required for the job you are interested in, being aware which these are
- Adapting your mindset to the conditions of your social, economic and professional environment.
What kind of support does AELIA offer for my employability?
AELIA helps you understand your current as well as your potential Employability. We guide you, mentor you and offer advice so that:
- you become aware of which jobs are offered and which are suitable for us according to our personality, talents knowledge, skills and desires (dreams);
- you become conscious and aware of which are our personal attributes and in which areas we may have particular inclination and strengths (talent);
- you become aware of what we know and what we can (knowledge and skills);
- you become aware of what we desire to work on and why;
- you analyse our potential dream job and undertand why it is a dream job for us
About your “actual” and your “potential” employability – Developing your potential employability with AELIA
In AELIA we believe that each one of us has a “potential employability” and an “actual employability”. With our current skills, knowledge, mindset we are employable for specific jobs, but if we fully develop our potential, then we can reach a further level of Employability which can permit us to be suitable for jobs even more attractive to us (our “dream jobs”). There are solid requirements in order to fully develop your potential employability and achieve the level of employability which will make apt for an attractive job, suitable for you. These requirements are:
- Constant learning and personal development;
- Constant information about the market and the jobs in the sectors that interest me so as to acquire a realistic overview of the market;
- Developing the ability to learn (learning how to learn skill);
- Break stereotypes and understand why such stereotypes were set in the first place;
- opening up your mind to new ideas and adapting your mindset to the requirements of the jobs you are interested in.
AELIA Activity extends to 3 levels of employability support:
Level 1 – Knowledge & Food for Thought (Roundtable Discussions, Lectures, Knowledge sharing & dissemination)
We collect and process useful information about employability and professional development. Actually, we have developed our own models of approach to critical employability issues. We are sharing such knowledge
- Through our informational activities
- Our Lectures in several events
- our Roundtable Discussions
- our Live Interviews of experienced professionals
- Through knowledge sharing
Level 2 – Awareness and Learning (Educational Workshops, Learning & Awareness Initiatives)
AELIA has been designing and carrying out educational activities in which professionals (as well as students, as future professionals) can learn about key issues of employability. In all those educational activities, we focus on experiential learning, mainly through simulation exercises, games and roleplay.
Our main educational activities are:
- Our Educational Workshops in a wide range of topics such as
- Soft Skills development,
- Professional Development basics,
- Collaboration and Group work,
- Entrepreneurship for beginners,
- Social Entrepreneurship,
- Transactions and deals for new entrepreneurs,
- Our Learning & Awareness Initiatives, which include a series of events, in which we offer workshops, live interviews of professionals and other experiential learning activities as well as knowledge sharing. Our main Learning & Awareness Initiatives have been:
- The Skills2Start initiative together with the British Council in Greece, for the promotion of the significance of Soft Skills
- The Mix & Meet events, for experiential learning of specific sectors such as agrofood and tourism.
Level 3- Mentoring, Networking and Experiential Learning (Acceleration Programs)
AELIA designs and carries out Acceleration Programs, which aim at offering dedicated guidance helping out people in critical professional steps. We support specific professionals in achieving specific professional goals. Each program targets a specific professional group, defined whether by sector (ie the creative and cultural industries), by age (newcomers in labour market up to 30 years old) or by geographical area (ie the islands)
These are programs of 12 -24 months in which the participants (beneficiaries) are offered mentoring, short training projects-on-the-job and networking opportunities. In our Acceleration Programs we offer
So far , in our Acceleration Programs our beneficiaries have been offered useful assistance to understand critical professional challenges that lie ahead them as well as to take critical professional decisions;
AELIA has been supporting professional plans of people of all ages and gender, in almost all regions in Greece, in a wide range of professional sectors and in the whole spectrum of employment, freelance activity and entrepreneurship.
Particularly in our Acceleration Programs, we have been supporting professional plans for jobs and/or freelance or entrepreneurial activities in tourism and leisure, design, art and culture, education and welfare institutions, social enterprises and NGOs, but also in software development and high-tech entrepreneurship.